Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Super Shopper Surplus Sale

Thank you Frisco ISD for inadvertently changing my plans today. I was planning to head to the gym, get Ashley a haircut (and one for my mom too, she's back in town thank goodness) and go to the pool because we haven't been there enough this summer (just kidding).

Anyway, Frisco ISD held a surplus "sale" today to disperse all of the Early Childhood teaching materials from several campuses because they built a brand new EC school that will open in August and will receive all new materials. The other campuses were told to send 1 or 2 representatives to shop at this "sale"-- all materials were free, but are property of the district so they are supposed to stay within the district. I had received an email about this and thought I knew what I was getting myself into... ummm, wrong.

I went to this Super Shopper Surplus Sale (affectionately named by me) wearing jeans and only planning to stay for about 30 minutes. Since I will be teaching at a brand new school this year we will be getting all new stuff (furniture and materials) so I didn't think there was really anything we would need... ummm, wrong.

The entire school cafeteria was FILLED with furniture-- everything from bookshelves, cubbies, toy kitchens, etc., and teaching materials. OMG. After picking my jaw up off the floor, I called my mom and told her it would be longer than 30 minutes, then I started to shop. Three hours later I was dripping with sweat (remember I was wearing jeans) and had a car FULL of great stuff. It's not all for me, it technically belongs to my school/district and will have to be divided among the other kinder teachers on my team. But, WOW! Look at all of this stuff!

2 comments:

emk said...

Wow! I'm guessing the school district doesn't have budget problems??! That's quite the haul-- and it's gotta be kinda fun to spend someone else's money! :-)

Steady Plodder... said...

Impressive! Have the kids wanted to open up the goodies and play school?